We encourage you to reach out to your congressman and senators to state your position and give them direction. The following is a guide to help you influence your congressman and senators in the most effective way. Identify your congressman and senators here.
Give Direction to Your Congressman and Senators:The most effective letters are brief, firm but polite, and do the following three things:
- Clearly state your position and. when possible, reference specific legislation (e.g., I oppose H.R. 240).
- Provide a reason or two to support why you feel that way.
- Indicate what you expect of your representative (e.g., Please publicly declare your unequivocal opposition to federal control of health care.)
Build Informed Constituent Pressure:You can achieve even greater impact on Congress by establishing yourself as a local opinion molder:
- With your letter to your congressman or senators, enclose a page from your local newspaper containing your published letter to the editor on the same topic.
- Influence others in your community by sharing solid information, such as an article posted on this website, and ask them to contact your representative to express their views, too,
- Help build local organization for the same objective.