Congress: Just Vote the Constitution!
Posted on: August 05, 2016
Overview of Issue
- The vast majority of the programs comprising the federal budget today are unconstitutional. (See, for example, “Constitutional Camouflage.”)
- Simply conforming the activities of the federal government to the Constitution would provide tremendous economic relief to the American people and put America back on the road to unprecedented prosperity.
- The House of Representatives can stop unconstitutional spending anytime a simple majority has the will to do so. No long drawn out process to force Congress to act by amending the Constitution is needed or warranted. The Constitution is not at fault. Congress is. (But the root cause is uninformed voters — see next.)
- Congress must get its will to vote the Constitution from informed and determined voters back home. Accordingly, our campaign informs voters of constitutional issues and shows them how the leadership of both political parties supports unconstitutional spending.
- Our long-range campaign objective is to help Americans supply sufficient counter-pressure on Congress to overcome the Establishment pressures for continued unconstitutional spending. To do this, in the face of a contrary national media, experience shows that we need to organize in the neighborhood of 1,000 active members in a majority (218) of congressional districts.
- An important step in this process is to help Americans understand that the limits of the Constitution must be enforced and guide federal programs and spending. We seek to help Americans understand that merely arguing over how much we can afford will not tame the federal monster, whereas a Congress that votes to restore constitutional government will revitalize America.
- In order to hold Congress accountable, Americans need to know how their congressmen are voting on critical issues. Accordingly, an immediate objective of this campaign is to introduce our no-nonsense Congressional scorecard to local opinion molders and leaders. (The target number of contacts for a congressional district is based on FFS membership in that district.)
Recommended Campaign Actions
- Cultivate a network of personal contacts (people you know). Periodically share information and action opportunities with your network. Start by sharing a link to the lead article for this campaign.
- Regularly write your U.S. representative (and candidates) insisting that they not vote for unconstitutional spending and praising or reprimanding recorded votes as appropriate. Use FFS Action Alerts as a trigger for you own letters and to help others do the same.
- Enlist others in our campaign. Assemble a group of personal contacts for a campaign presentation. Contact FFS headquarters to schedule a speaker.
- Help build a new grassroots leadership core that America needs for constituents to regain control of Congress – join Freedom First Society.
Downloadable campaign poster (24″ x 36″)
The Great American Swindle [Downloadable 12-page article — PDF]
The Power of the Purse (online article)
Hon. Lawrence Patton McDonald, M.D. We Hold These Truths
(Campaign launched September 2010)